Being a redhead isn’t all fun and games, you know! I love my (dyed) flame red hair and all its multi-tonal goodness, but it can be tricky to navigate the myriad of colours available in clothing and makeup products without crossing the fine line between complimentary and clashing.
Since I’m slightly (ok, incredibly) obsessed with lip products, I’ve narrowed my enormous collection down to share with you my absolute favourite can’t-live-without lip products for the summer time, hopefully helping out other redheads with some ideas!
As not everyone has exactly the same colouring and skin undertones, shades that work for me may not be your top favourites as well, but if you’re struggling or need inspiration, here is a good place to start! I’m NW20 in MAC makeup, so I have naturally fair to light skin (mixture of Northern and Eastern European heritage) with cool undertones. I have naturally very pigmented lips, so the lightest colours don’t always show up on me, or just look very similar to another. I mentioned that my hair is dyed red with five different tones throughout, so it does rapidly fade from a warm dark colour to a lighter, ‘ginger’ one! Though whatever stage my hair is at, these lip colours are ones that always work for me.
L-R: MAC Ravishing, Maybelline Color Sensational in Park Ave Peach, MUA lipstick in Juicy, Givenchy Le Rouge in Beige Plume, Revlon Lip Butter in Peach Parfait, L’Oreal CP Julianne, L’Oreal CP Cheryl, NYX Butter Gloss in Maple Blondie
As you can see, I find that peaches, peachy-pinks and brownish-pinks work best for me! I steer clear of cool-toned reds and pinks as well as pale nudes, since they make me washed out. Similarly, anything more brown than pink tends to give my skin a dirty look. I save the dusky rose and plum shades for winter!
1. MAC Ravishing – This does look a touch more orange in person! MAC Ravishing is the perfect ‘gateway’ coral-orange shade for anyone who’s never worn a similar shade before. The Cremesheen formula isn’t too drying yet wears well for a creamy formula, and also buildable, meaning you can go for a more subtle mood-boosting wash of colour, or add extra for more of a statement shade that won’t wash you out. This was my first ever MAC lipstick and one of my all-time favourites!
2. Maybelline Color Sensational Lipstick in Park Ave Peach– This shade was tricky to hunt down, but I eventually managed to get hold of one on Amazon for just a few pounds! A great budget dupe for MAC See Sheer, this is an ideal wearable red-orange shade which works well with a ‘no-makeup-makeup’ look,especially on holiday when makeup looks are more toned down – a bold shade but not overpowering.
3. MUA Lipstick in Juicy – Everyone’s favourite £1 lipstick! The formula and colours are an absolute steal for the price. ‘Juicy’ is a bright, energising coral-pink shade with a slight glossy sheen. A lovely, bright pick-me-up shade for summer weather that would suit almost any skin tone and hair colours.
4. Givenchy Le Rouge in 102 Beige Plume – From my cheapest lipstick to my most expensive! A very lovely Sephora SA used this on me in the US last year and I had to treat myself to it before leaving. During my many shopping excursions on that trip, I noticed every store (MAC, Sephora, and Macy’s, among others) always recommended me a more brown-toned lip shade, whereas beauty counters I’ve visited in the UK have always steered me towards pinker shades. The large silver and real leather case is a seriously luxe statement on its own, housing a very wearable pink-brown neutral with a divine creamy formula.
5. Revlon Lip Butter in Peach Parfait – Revlon seems to be more of a mid-range brand, especially in the UK at least, so I only own a few of their products! The Lip Butter formula is one of my favourites – a sheer wash of colour and very moisturising. Peach Parfait is a gorgeous shimmery peachy-pink, giving a lovely sheen rather than a glitterbomb. I’ve been wearing this with minimal makeup lately, as it makes me look more put-together when I don’t have time for foundation and eye makeup!
6. L’Oreal Collection Privee in Julianne’s Nude – I think I’ve mentioned already how much I love this collection! Julianne’s Nude is intended to be an ideal pinky-nude for redheads in a lovely creamy formula. An ideal suit-all nude to pair with a dramatic eye look.
7. L’Oreal Collection Privee in Cheryl’s Nude – Featured in my last Favourites post, Cheryl’s Nude is my all-time favourite go-to nude shade to wear with dramatic cat-eye liner and smoky shadow to even out my natural lip colour and give a subtle sheen. A pale beige-pink shade in a creamy formula, it complements my colouring perfectly – not so pale it washes me out, and not too dark. Shame these are limited edition, I’ll have to stock up!
8. NYX Butter Gloss in Maple Blondie – The only gloss on this list! I tend to avoid gloss formulas since the weather is usually windy and there’s nothing more frustrating than getting your hair stuck to your lipgloss, and many formulas seem to be so sticky I can’t wait to get them off. NYX’s gloss formula is my absolute favourite – gorgeous vanilla scent, great shade range and all of the shine with minimal stickiness! I wear Maple Blondie most of all, since the shade is so flattering and really brightens up my complexion. I can’t wait to get hold of more of these.
That’s it for my summer lip edit, maybe I’ll do the same with other types of products in future! I really hope it was helpful and inspired you to check out some new & wonderful products for the summer months!