As if all my makeup fit in one tiny bag (and another even smaller one)! Nope, I’ve condensed some of my favourite summer must-haves into a small zip-up makeup pouch ideal for sorting my face out on the go this season. Read on to find out the best summer base in existence, sweat-proof eye makeup and the new lipstick I’ve fallen head-over-heels in love with…
I don’t often take much makeup with me throughout the day, but summer calls for occasions where you find yourself needing to redo your face multiple times a day. Summer walks in the heat, swimming, the beach, going to dinner..it’s hard to keep the same stuff on your face throughout the day. Here is what I took with me to adjust myself from bare-faced lazing around in the heat mood to evening-ready in less than 10 minutes! Welcome to the tour of my sumemer makeup bag.
The Main Bag (in order of application)
1. Bourjois CC Cream – The ultimate summer base! This has been the most perfect, light and not-too-greasy product to use all over my face to neutralise redness, without having to cake on product to cover it up. SPF 15 means your skin will also have a little extra protection from the sun – if I was going out during the day, I’d definitely throw in my La Roche Posay Anthelios XL SPF 50+ to wear underneath – pale girls need this every single day of the summer!
2. MAC Pro Longwear Concealer in NW20 – A new purchase, but already a must-have for me. This is some seriously hard-wearing high-coverage concealer – I can wear this an entire day and it doesn’t seem to crease or budge. I don’t always sleep well in the summer because of the heat, so this covers up dark under-eye circles perfectly throughout a busy day.
3. Collection Brow Definer in Blonde – A favourite no matter what time of year it is! Ideal pigmentation, shade and texture for light brows and filling in the sparse areas without looking like you’ve Crayola-d them on. Other products I’ve tried have either been messy, or just looked far too obvious that I’ve used product on them!
4. MAC Brow Set in Beguile – Brow gel never used to be a thing I used at all, but now it’s an essential for me. Beguile is the perfect shade for blonde and light brown brows, giving a subtle tint of colour to those finer baby brow hairs whilst slicking them down for a tidy finish. Absolutely worth the money!
5. MAC Pro Longwear Paint Pot in Painterly – Sadly the price of these has risen yet again! At least I managed to get hold of Painterly beforehand. I wish I could find a cheaper dupe to the Pro Longwear Paint Pots but I haven’t yet – the choice of colours is wonderful, and although Maybelline Color Tattoos have a similarly great ultra-long-wearing formula, their shade range leaves much to be desired. Painterly is the perfect pale pinky-nude shade for smudging all over the lid to brighten and even out eyelid discolouration, or a stay-all-day base for any powder shadows you want to apply on top. This can be applied using either your finger or a cream shadow brush, such as my Bobbi Brown Cream Shadow Brush, which I can also multi-task with and dip into the next product.
6. MAC Extra Dimension Eyeshadow in Silver Dawn – Unfortunately this was only brought out for the Magnetic Nude collection earlier this year – a gorgeous shimmery cool taupe shade. I seldom buy eyeshadow singles, but this is the most perfect shadow to apply and smudge out in the corner of my lids with the previous brush, especially over a shade like Painterly to give definition and colour whilst keeping it simple and neutral.
7. Maybelline Full ‘n’ Soft Mascara – Strangely enough this brilliant Maybelline mascara isn’t sold in the UK, yet it’s one I used for years and always find myself coming back to. I can’t stand mascaras that leave my lashes coated, flaky and crusty – this is the ideal antidote to those! Lashes are long and volumised whilst looking incredibly natural – pretty much the perfect mascara to me! After mascara, I then apply my pressed powder all over my face to minimise shine and set my concealer and base.
8. MAC Fafi Blush in Hipness – Another limited edition, though very similar to Benefit Coralista with less shimmer. The MAC formula always lasts a long time for a powder blush, not to mention great pigmentation. A bright peachy-pink blush like this in the summer will always help to look more awake and healthier, even if you’ve been eating Nutella bagels in front of the computer all weekend (ahem..). I apply with my Bobbi Brown Face Blender Brush, great for applying and blending out a natural-looking flush of colour, and still working well 10 years on.
9. Benefit Hoola Bronzer – To finish off, I use my fluffy synthetic brush by Sephora Collection, the Classic Rounded Blush Brush 41 (picked it up for $3 on clearance last year, no longer available) to dust some bronzer from my Hoola mini under my cheekbones and onto my temples, to give a healthy, lightly tanned look to my pale complexion. This particular brush is ideal for me, since it deposits a slight hint of colour evenly wherever I use it, rather than ending up with brown streaks all over my face! Pale girls like me have to be careful with bronzer or it can get a bit too over-the-top!
The Touch-Up Bag
1. Collection 2000 Shine Away Compact Powder – Sadly this has also been discontinued! If you can still find it online, it costs you £2-3 for a sturdy mirrored compact with a great pressed powder inside, invaluable for travelling. I wish they still sold this powder in stores, but at least there are still a few floating around online!
2. E.L.F Kabuki Face Brush – A cheap yet soft, fluffy and good quality kabuki I can carry around with me and not worry too much about losing or ruining it, since it’s so affordable. My Bobbi Brown Face brush kabuki, on the other hand, would be another story. Perfect for swiping on the above powder when my face starts to look shiny during the day.
3. MAC Flamingo Lipstick – Another MAC product that’s suddenly gone up in price! Very glad I bought this a couple of weeks before. Expect to see this new stunner in my monthly favourites – it’s my new favourite bright lipstick, easy to apply and comes everywhere with me. Can’t love it enough.
Hope you enjoyed the brief tour of my two little makeup bags! Now if only I could downsize the rest of my collection…